Happy Friday, everyone! It's SUPER BOWL weekend! What the means for me is an excuse to make awesome snacks. :) I can't tell you I love football, I wish I could. I have really really tried. I still love Football Sundays though... it's a great excuse to hop into sweatpants and make really tasty game snacks. It's all about snacks. So, I've been on this new health kick lately of eating unprocessed foods, SO I am going to attempt to make some delicious food that doesn't include food dyes, chemicals, etc. First on my list... CORN DOGS. Yep, they can be made using all organic ingreidents :)
Recipe: Homemade Whole Wheat Corn Dogs
(adapted from Deliciously Organic)
serving size: approx. 8 dogs
For the Corn Dogs:
- 1 qt. peanut oil for frying
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur white whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (please make sure you find this organically)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon light honey
- 3/4 cup organic whole milk (I used original almond milk)
- 1 large free range local egg
- 10 hot dogs (nitrate free and local if possible)
- 10 wooden skewers
- Organic ketchup + mustard for dipping
Pour oil in a large heavy pot and heat over medium-high heat. Whisk flour mix, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add honey, milk and egg and whisk until combined.
Thread hot dogs onto skewers. When oil reaches 360ºF dip each hot dog into batter, rolling until fully coated and quickly drop entire stick into oil. Fry, two at a time, until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat for remaining corn dogs. Serve warm.
Happy Super Bowl weekend everyone!!!